The first application to get popularized on this new era of computing, were the text editors, best known as word processing programs or word Processors . Incorporating this tool to companies and offices, forever changed the focus of the secretarial activity. They have been raising levels of productivity and quality of documents of any kind previously undreamt standards.
These programs allow you to create, edit, format, and print texts. Nowadays almost all existing on the market are capable of handling a huge amount of additional functions of which we mention the most used, such as:
- Selection of fonts and within each of these, an infinite number of sizes, colors, etc. Additionally you can specify types italic, bold, underlined, and any combination of all of these, including coloring letters, and special characters.
- Formatting the text or document in all their combinations of margins, indents, spacing, line spacing, etc..
- Spell of the texts introduced in any language, including correction suggestions.
- Basic text translation into any language.
- Generation and modification of an infinite number of templates for any type of documents in common use. This include letters, memoranda, curriculum vitae, technical reports and brochures to one or more columns, etc.
- Inclusion of graphics, special characters, math formulas and typesettable tables to meet any need.
- Development of indexes and tables of contents of documents.
- Printing in different formats.
- Inclusion of numbering of pages and chapters or sections.
- Inclusion of headers and footers in page .
In short, there is no treatment needs of texts and documents which can not be satisfied through the use of current word processors. For this reason, they have become the main tool of productivity of writers, journalists, etc.
More Important Word Processors:
There are a large number of processors on the market. Only to mention some of the more popular (by volumes of users) are:
- Microsoft Word
- Apple Pages
- Open Office Writer